Tuesday, September 26, 2006

50 Years of TV: Five shows

We recently commemorated fifty years of television. I thought I’d mark it by writing about the five shows that I found memorable. (The order resembles chronology).

Picket Fences (1992-1996) (David E. Kelley) - It is probably the first legal drama that I watched. It dealt with issues in an aptly named American small town “Rome”. I would be quite interested if the series was released onto DVD.

The X-Files (1992-2003) (Chris Carter) - Moving on to the only Sci-fi show on my list. While I quite liked it, I didn’t quite get to watch all of the nine seasons. On the whole I think the first three seasons where the best, but do plan (one-day) to finish watching all nine seasons, and see how the story arc concludes.

The Practice (1997-2004) (David E. Kelley) - Continuing on the legal theme, The Practice was set in a Boston legal practice, it dealt with a large array of contemporary issues in a serious manner. Like Picket Fences, another show I’m looking forward to the DVD box sets to come out.

The West Wing (1999-2006) (Aaron Sorkin) - No secret to anyone regularly reading this blog that The West Wing is my all time favourite TV Show. It is the most even on the list, and had it all in terms of character, dialogue, and plots. It is quite the contradiction, incredibly real in the issues and themes of the stories, and what we would like American to be.

House MD (2004- ???) (David Shore) - I am quite enjoying this medical drama, it is well scripted and acted. The show has just begun its second season - it will be interesting to see the direction the show goes. Along with Bones, it is one of my currently regular TV shows.

The honorable mentions go to Mad About You, Seinfeld, The Simpsons and Bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment